Here are the most common mistakes made by candidates during an interview.
- Lack of punctuality.
- Failing to show up for an interview without notice.
- Lack of preparation:
– Not remembering, on the day of the interview, the title of the position they are applying for, or the name of the person conducting the interview;
– Not knowing the job;
– not being informed about the organization;
– not being able to demonstrate that they have the right fit for the job;
– consistently using the same example to answer all questions;
– not bringing a copy of their updated CV or list of references.
- Demonstrate a lack of listening skills.
- Disparaging former employers, the current employer or colleagues.
- Difficulty in expressing themselves concisely.
- Misusing the same arguments to justify their interest in the position:
– Salary motivations (including promotion);
– Job stability in government.
- Checking one’s cell phone during the interview.
- Being too insistent during the follow-up to the interview or in subsequent contacts.
- Adopting an overly familiar attitude at any point in the process.